Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 A Decade in Review

I figure the closing of a decade will prompt me to reminisce a bit:

I have one week left of freedom before I start school full time to do a 180 in my life path. I week and my life and future will change forever. It's been exciting, scary, and drastic for me but after surviving this last decade I've realized it's time to move on....and that I survived is pretty impressive considering what I went through.

2000-2009 in review:

I bought my first brand spankin new car - a 2002 SL-1 Saturn which I still have and which now has about 180,000 miles on it.

I became a bartender by night.....this broke me of my intense shy streak.

I moved out of my parents' house for the 1st time, then back in, then back out again. I lived in 6 different places these last 10 years!

I graduated college with a Bachelor's degree in biology. Fat lot of good it did me- there are no good careers in biology.

After graduation, and never having been on a plane or on my own before, I spent 3 weeks in Britain, Ireland and France on my own. This is very scary when I think of it, but it was also before 9/11.

9/11 happened. For the first time I realized America wasn't as invincible as I thought. Late I would discover we are a pretty hated nation in many parts of the world, yet everyone looks to us to be the saviors.

2001 I had my very first kiss at 23 years of ageand fell in love. It was romantic, unexpected and led me into a lot of trouble.
2003 I lost the first guy I kissed to a drunk driver.

2003 I switched churches and started attending The Rock in Minneapolis. This decision changed and shaped my entire world into what it is today. Most of the friends I have now are from-or were from- this church.

2004 I went on my first mission trip to El Salvador. I was a prisoner in an airport for 27 hours. Kind of intense but God showed his power, and in more ways than just that experience.

I started taking language classes in Russian and German. As a result of the Russian lessons, I made a wonderful and fascinating new friend Svitlana and became close to her whole family- including briefly dating her son.

We got a new family dog- Turk- who I couldn't imagine life without.
I got an aquarium and adopted fish- Odysseus, Achilles, and Finnegan- all of who died under different circumstances but who all enriched my life and my desk so much in their brief time with me.

I went to Vegas like 4 times. It doesn't inprove with more trips.....not worth all the hype in my opinion.

I saw Niagara Falls!

My Grandpa Bob passed away :(

My sister Katie got married and I got the best brother-in-law, Joe.

My niece/goddaughter Adelaide was born who brings me joy every time I see her :)

I started singing karaoke and was "on the circuit" for awhile. I did contests and feel a little famous when people come up to me and tell me they remember me from like 5 or 6 years ago at some other place they heard me sing.

I got into the bar scene and had my party years.
I got out of the bar scene and decided that's not where or how I want to spend my life.

I got drunk for the first time.
Drinking got me into lots of trouble and made me throw up more than I ever thought possible.

I crossed my 13 year anniversary at H. Brooks and company and have held 5 positions in that time.

I went to Mexico for the 2nd time.

I dyed my hair for the first of many times including being a redhead, a dark brunette, and a streaker, and got addicted to going to the salon. I also had my first manicure/pedicure/facial/ massage.....heaven let me tell ya....

2006 I attended my 10 year high school reunion. Was ok- wouldn't have missed much though.

2008 I turned 30 and decided it was time to pick a career path for life.

I met my best friend Troy who I dated briefly and who inexplicably ended our friendship after 7 years. Lots of good memories, trips to Arizona, CA, NV.....wish someday I would know what his deal was.

That's all I've got for now. So wild to look back and think all this happened after Y2K. I experienced soooo much. Look out 2010-2019!

No comments: